Fish and Rice (Kedgeree)

 
 
I had some leftover fillet of haddock I wanted to make a kedgeree with but my haddock wasn’t smoked. In fact, it was breaded and already cooked. I followed the same method as making a traditional kedgeree but using what I had. It was really good. You can find the curry powder here under Seasonings. Next time I will add some green peas for a bit of colour.


4 large hard-cooked eggs 6 ounces Basmati rice
Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
2 ounces butter
2 large onions (peeled and finely sliced)
1 pound haddock
4 teaspoon curry powder
2 bay leaves
1/2 lemon (juiced)
1/2 ounce flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)

Sauté the onions, add the curry powder and bay leaves. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the rice. Stir well. It should be a lovely golden color throughout.
Flake the fish into large chunks, then add to the rice and onions.
Quarter the cooked eggs, add to the rice, and stir gently, reserving 4 of the quarters for decoration.
Add the lemon juice, season with a little salt and pepper, and stir again.
Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately garnished with the eggs and lemon wedges if using.



Comments